Thursday, January 7, 2010

Blog #1



Something that was a good experience to work on was creating a blog for the company. It was much more interesting than simply creating a blog account for school, because I had more freedom to design it and add more photos and videos to the account, and it's interesting to have the freedom and responsibility to create something that will represent the company.




This is my mentor, Giuliana, exhibiting an example of the proper dress code for the office, which is very casual and includes jeans and tennis shoes.




This is the desk that I was given, it provides a good amount of room to work and has two good computers.




Some of the work that was required of me today involved going over financial documents and ensuring that all the right names were listed and making notes of the ones that were not.





The people I'm working with are very animal friendly because of the work field that they are in, and have many pets. There are dogs roaming around the office that they regulrarly play with and take on walks.

Q:Has your company been affected by the recession?
A:Yes it has, our funding comes from government grants and private funding and people are much more hesitant during the financial crisis. This is one of the reasons that we have recently merged the company with another orginization.

Q:What impact has the recession had on product demand?
A:Buyers are more hesitant now, and we have had to downsize during the recession. We have recently let go 3 or 4 employees because of budget issues.

Q:Does the recession have an impact on the ability to travel to different elementary schools?
A:No, all of our elementary school visits are pre-budjeted.

Today I woke up at 8:30, and for breakfast I had cereal and grapefruit. I got my stuff together and got dressed and ready to go and still had some time to relax before i left for my internship at 10. My mom gave me a ride to the site which took about fifteen minutes, I arrived at the office at around 10:15 and went inside at 10:25. The first person I saw was my mentor Giuliana, who let me into the building and then spent the day with her and her co-worker Francis in their office. My main work space is at a desk located next to the window. It is a nice place to work because the office is big and open and my desk is in a nice spot. For lunch I brought a sandwich and an apple and ate at the office around 1:30. In the afternoon I helped tally up surveys that had been given out to children in elementary schools and worked on setting up a blog for the company. My mentor is working on a calendar for me that will describe in further detail the work that I will be doing daily, but in the next few days I will be most likely working on setting up the company blog and website editing. I think i will do very well at helping with the website and blog and going on fieldtrips and working with kids, as well as making choices for the film festival. To succeed at this internship, I'm going to need to learn more about html editing and websites, but I am very excited about working on this and being able to create something for the company. I'm nervous because editing the company website and dealing with the database information is a big responsibility and they are relying on me to make sure things go smoothly. I got home at around 5pm, the afternoon commute was not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment